Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Snowy day cardigan


It has turned wintry in the seaside town I live in these past few days. Yesterday morning, I could not coax myself out of my cozy cinnamon and coffee scented house because of the flurries of snow. I busied myself fixing up an old cardigan so that I would love it again, instead of relegating it to the pile of things I throw on top of my pajamas.

I hate winter clothes, for the most part. I don't like itchy or bulky; I don't like hats that flatten your hair; I don't like boots that aren't cowboy boots. I do like fluffy, soft, dreamy things, though. This sweater is the color the sky was yesterday, and the lace and pearl buttons and velvet trim are sort of snowy. It was all very coincidental, but then I liked the snow a little better, and I felt tons better about winter clothes. I also wore tiny twinkly crystal earrings, and much later in the day, since I was feeling inspired, I made a necklace out of a chandelier crystal and wore that, too. If I'd been able to find my cream colored tights, I would have changed out of my boring blue jeans and into the vintage, heathery-green wool skirt I have.

I have to clarify something right now, too. I saw a random comment sort of pertaining to this blog wherein the author urged people to simplify and purge. I am NOT advising that, not at all. I am not a fan of those terrible shows where they scrounge in your closet and dump your treasures on a burn pile simply because you can't recall the last time you wore it and then replace it with some vaguely trendy, "versatile" piece that is supposed to be "wearable" and which has all of the art and personality of a red Solo cup at a kegger. No. Don't abandon your things because they aren't being worn; WEAR THEM. Abandon your oatmeal colored t-shirts and your shapeless black slacks and your ancient Old Navy yoga pants. Toss the things that make you blend in, and embrace standing out. I never get compliments on wardrobe staples; the things people love are coral or aquamarine or leopard print. Pooh-pooh to the Trinnys and Susannahs of the world. I prefer to keep my faux-fox orange sweater-coat, thank you.

1 comment: